Saturday, November 24, 2007

Great Expectations (48-49)

On page 390, last paragraph, I really like the sentence "...and we went along Cheapside and slanted off to Little Britain, while the lights were springing up brilliantly in the shop-windows, and the street lamplighters, scarcely finding ground enough to plant their ladders on in the midst's of the afternoon's bustle, were skipping up and down and running in and out, opening more red eyes in the gathering fog than my rush-light tower at the Hummums had opened white eyes in the ghostly wall." I thought it was great scenery and imagery.

Why does Pip change his mind to join Jaggers only when Jaggers mentions that Wemmick will be there? (page 390)

I'm assuming Bentley Drummle is the "Spider"? (page 392)

No way! No way! I will not believe that Molly is Estella's mother (as claimed by Pip on page 393). Ok, yes i will believe it, but that is such a huge surprise! More "coincidental" connections in somehow all related to Pip.

Since Molly was almost convicted for killing her own daughter (who is most likely Estella), and assuming Molly was being convicted because they could not find her daughter, then why could they not find Molly's daughter? (page 396)

On page 400, Pip says, "There have been sore mistakes; and my life has been a blind and thankless one; and I want forgiveness and direction far too much to be bitter with you." It shows that Pip realizes his mistakes, yet is still ungrateful (possibly due to the convict), yet still feels a bit superior, as he says "to be bitter with you." Pip would not have said that unless he felt confident and superior, rather than him being a lowly blacksmith.

On page 403, Pip says "running at me" referring to Miss Havisham, and I don't think I could picture Miss Havisham running, due to her old age and the way she lived. I pictured her instead sitting and then yelling at Pip to help her (though she in on fire, she still keeps her superiority and dignity).

No comments: