Monday, November 19, 2007

Great Expectations (45-47)

On page 368, I like the use of personification "the clock whispered, the fire-place sighed..." I was also able to relate to Pip, when I would be lying in bed, unable to sleep, the noises of my house would get louder and seem to be alive, including the clock ticking and the doors creaking.

During chapter 45, I felt the intensity and suspense building, as Compeyson was chasing after Magwitch and due to the note from Wemmick telling Pip to not go home. Now there is the problem of Compeyson, who could hurt Pip and his family and friends, just because of Magwitch. It almost seems like the fee for becoming a gentleman and receiving the money, Pip now has to deal with Compeyson.

I like how Pip compares Clara and her father as a "captive fairy" and "trucelent ogre."

I feel that Clara is in the same situation as Compeyson's wife. They are both stuck with terrible uncaring men who look upon their women as inferior and no more than a servant. Yet both women stick to their men and care for them diligently, for fear of lack of money or shelter or just fear, or the women feel it is their duty to stay with this person because in Clara's case, it's her father, and for Compeyson's wife, because it's her husband.

I can relate with Pip, on page 383, when he does not look into the information of if Estella and Drummle had married yet, though he knows it has already probably happens, but if he does not hear confirmation, he can ignore it and pretend as if it never happened. I've done the same, where I don't want to hear something, and I think that if I don't actually hear it, it's not real.

While Pip is describing the events of the play Mr. Wopsle is in, I think he definitely affects what I think of that play, though I have never seen or read it. By subtly adding opinionated adjectives and phrases, I already had a judgement of a play I had never seen. I found it to be comical- but not supposing to be- and a bit ridiculous- though I am sure the play was meant to be real and serious.

Also on page 387, Pip says, "And I observed with great surprise that he devoted it to staring in my direction as if he were lost in amazement," referring to Mr. Wopsle. It showed that Pip was no longer as conceited as before (due to the wake up call from Magwitch) as Pip says he was surprised, however he still has a feel of superiority by using the term "lost in amazement."

I find that Compeyson sitting behind Pip without even trying to scare Pip directly makes the situation even more frightful because the way Compeyson is choosing. Instead of directly attacking Pip, he is reaching him through his family, as Compeyson probably knew Mr. Wopsle had some relation to Pip. It makes Compeyson seem even more clever and smarter, thus a more frightening pursuer.

1 comment:

That guy said...

Its funny how you put tour children and your pets in the same catagory.

Dan