Sunday, November 4, 2007

Great Expectations (14-19)

Pre.S. Hey Mr. Gallagher, I was just looking through my blog and you're right- there was nothing for chapters 14-19, but I did write it. I found it in the document saver thing on blogger. I think I accidentally clicked save now instead of publish post- my bad.

I find that I love when Pip asks a question to himself and then explains his feeling, then as the reader, with the answer, I can understand Pip a bit more, and I also find it a little funny because he's so naive. For example, on page 107, last paragraph, it states, "What I wanted, who can say? How can I say when I never knew? What I dreaded was that in some unlucky hour I, being at my grimiest and commonest, should left up my eyes and see Estella looking in at one of the wooden windows of the forge. I was haunted by the fear that she would sooner or later, find me out, with a black face and hands, doing the coarsest part of my work, and would exult of me and despise me."
He is blinded so much by his admiration for Estella when he doesn't even know what Miss Havisham has done to her.

I also found it comical when Pip was trying to convince Joe to let me visit Miss Havisham, but not for the reason he gives. Pip gives a possibly nonsensical answer, but Joe still falls for it. I can relate with what Pip is doing- I've done it before, but not for the exact same situations.

During these chapters, I've been comparing Biddy to Estella, as they are both two women in Pip's life that he doesn't look upon as a mother or grandmother figure. The way Pip describes Biddy makes her seem almost inferior to Estella, also due to the way Pip describes Estella. Since Pip thinks of Estella as a beautiful woman and is blinded by his liking to her, he describes her very beautifully. But Biddy is looked upon by Pip as a plain girl, and it shows with his descriptions.

Ok I admit it. I was wrong. The man that called Mr. Wopsle out was not the convict, but the dark man from Miss Havisham's.
At first I was beginning to get annoyed with Dickens' way of introducing a character, and then it seemed like the character would not return to the story, but the characters do. This happened with the convict and the dark man, and I especially like it because they are re-introduced in such an exciting way. With the convict it was in the Three Jolly Bargemen and Pip knew it was the convict because he stirred his drink with the file Pip gave him. Then with the dark man, it was with a scene where he called out Mr. Wopsle and proved him wrong.

I think these chapters win most exciting. But I might have said that about another section, but these definitely win over those. It's exciting because of the characters, the money, the way the money comes, and what happens to Pip.