Monday, November 19, 2007

Great Expectations (42-44)

What is "silver tea-kittle"? As mentioned by the convict "I've been locked up as much as silver tea-kittle" on page 345.

I really like Magwitch's analogy of his name to the names of birds on page 345, because I had never thought of having a name in that sense and the truth in it. It also added to how Magwitch was alone in life and how he only had himself to depend on.

Why would Compeyson's wife stay with him if he was such a terrible husband, as Magwitch claims on page 348, where he says Compeyson abuses her and also has dreams of her attacking him and he insults her?

PAGE 352- one of my favorite pages. First of all, that is absolutely crazy, the way that Magwitch is connected with Miss Havisham. And secondly, it was written simply (compared to the rest of the book) thus, with just one read of the two sentences, I was able to understand completely, which defintely added to the impact. However, I'm not sure if that was Dickens intentions- to make it simple and clear to add to the impact?

On page 354 in the fourth paragraph, I really liked the metaphor comparing the beginning of the day to a beggar because it already sets a mood for the upcoming events.

On page 354, Drummle and Pip pretend not to see each other, which I find to be childish and ridiculous. It reminds me of when you know a person, and you pass them, but both do nothing to acknowledge each other.

I don't understand why Pip feels so disgusted by his benefactor that he can longer even keep in contact with Estella. He should feel grateful to Magwitch, and I think part of this repulsion is due to what Estella may think of him.

On page 359, Pip says "as plainly as if she had told me with the dumb alphabet" referring to Estella pausing her knitting and flinching her fingers. Dickens's word choice of "dumb alphabet" shows that Pip is still blinded by Estella and feels her superior to the rest of the world and himself.

On page 363, when Estella is speaking of how she is to be married to Drummle, my first thought was, no, she should be marrying Pip because Drummle is a fool. But then I thought of how this is all from Pip's point of view and his pessimistic view on Drummle definitely influenced me as the reader, and I thought that possibly Drummle is very different with Estella and the reason for marrying him is because she really does like him.

No comments: