Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Great Expectations (25-27)

I heart the first paragraph about Bentley Drummle on page 203. I thought it was a great way to open the chapter- especially the last sentence, "Thus, Bentley Drummel had come to Mr. Pocket when he was a head taller than that gentleman, and half a dozen heads thicker than most gentlemen.

I find it slightly odd how Wemmick refers to his parents as the "Aged" or "aged parent" and even introduces them that way (page 206).

Throughout chapter 25, I saw an extreme difference in Wemmick's character from when he's home to when he's at the office. When in the office, Wemmick is up-tight and concise, but then at the home, he's talkative and you discover there's a whole other person in his character.

For some reason, I keep thinking there's going to be some sort of drama between Wemmick and Jaggers, possibly over Pip, possibly because Pip likes one of them more or something similar to that. I'm not sure why I think that, probably because of all the drama shows I watch.

On page 212, I don't understand what Pip means when he says, "Years afterwards, I made a dreadful likeness of that woman by causing a face that had no other natural resemblance to it than it derived from flowing hair to pass behind a bowl of flaming spirits in a dark room."

I think Dickens does not mention Jaggers name until page 213 from the beginning of chapter 26. He just refers to him as "he" or "him," until Jaggers begins talking about his maid.

On page 214, how do "deeply disfigured" wrists with multiple cuts signify strength in Molly? If anything, it would signify psychological issues with that person, going by today's standards. Did they even cut themselves during Dickens' time?

On page 217, in Biddy's letter to Pip, why does Biddy say that she didn't read to Joe the last sentence of the letter? And then why does she tell Pip that?

I'm confused about the "Avenging Phantom" on page 218.
And why does Joe say "How AIR you Pip?" on page 219?
I do not understand Joe's lingo- (page 219) "ekerval," "backerder," "forarder."

You can definitely see a difference in Joe's speech and Herbert's speech. I find it odd, that thought they are both speaking English, it sounds like two different languages.

The last paragraph on page 223 to page 224, said by Joe was what I thought to be a great mini-monologue. It was sad, provoking, and inspiring all at the same time. I especially like the uses of blacksmith, whitesmith, coppersmith, and goldsmith.

No comments: