Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Great Expectations (37-39)

The first paragraph of chapter 37 I thought was so great in a comical sense because of the words used to describe it- especially, "I devoted the ensuing Sunday afternoon to a pilgrimage to the castle," said by Pip, referring to Wemmick's home. It made Wemmick's house seem like a whole different world.

Why does Pip judge Miss Skiffins as possessing portable property, as mentioned on page 295? Also, on page 296, when Pip first sees Miss Skiffins, he says that her "gown a little too decidedly orange, and her gloves a little too intensely green." The way Pip judges her, makes him seem that he feels superior to her, possibly because the money and "gentlemanly power" are going to his head, or possibly because she is just a woman, but overall, I thought that Pip's judgements were a bit harsh considering he had never even spoken to the woman before.

On page 297, when Pip asks Wemmick to help him in helping out his friend, Herbert, by providing him with installments, however, Herbert would not know it was Pip, I thought of how Pip had his own secret benefactor. Then, I thought of that commercial (I forget what company or brand) where a woman holds the door for someone out of pure kindness, then the person that had the door held for them did something for another person because they were inspired by the first woman, and the kind acts just went around different people that didn't know each other and eventually came back to the first woman.

Wemmick's "Aged Parent" reminds me of one of those crazy grandpas from movies and TV shows that are crazy, but in a happy/good way. And though they're crazy, you still love them because they're you're grandpa. The first one that comes to mind is the grandpa in the movie Meet the Robinsons.

On page 300, what does Pip mean by saying "my expectations had done good by somebody"? The first time I read it, I thought of "expectations" as a tangible object, due to the references of expectations in the book and how the book is based on Pip's expectations.
Also, I found it comical how Pip ventures to say "I must give one chapter to Estella."

On page 303, Pip gives about one sentence stating that he and Estella had left Richmond and arrived at Satis House, and the first time I read that, I hadn't even realized they had left yet. I had been expecting a little more elaborate description of the trip because Pip usually describes things or tells of things elaborately. I found it odd that he didn't this time. Perhaps, it was because he was so focused on Estella and his admiration for her.

On page 303, Pip describes Miss Havisham of having "wan bright eyes" and isn't that a bit of an oxi-moron, as wan means to be dull and gloomy, while bright means to be luminous and shining.

Total deja vu on page 304 when Pip is describing Miss Havisham and the cobwebs on the center piece and mice in the room. But then again, whenever someone visits Miss Havisham's house, don't they always experience deja vu?

On page 304, when Estella begins to show her tiring of Miss Havisham, I thought of that scene where the student turns on the teacher or the student exceeds the teacher's abilities and becomes better, which is what I thought Estella did to Miss Havisham.

I really like Estella's metaphors and way of putting things. For example, on page 311 she says, "Moths, and all sorts of ugly creatures hover about a lighted candle. How can the candle help it?" She was able to insult every man that fancied her while complimenting herself in such a conceited manner.

On page 312 to page 313, Pip is comparing the way he feels to a story about an Eastern sultan, but I don't understand why in the story, the sultan cuts the rope so the ceiling falls?

What is the Temple (Page 314)?

I had already guessed that the man who came in the middle of the night to Pip's room that it was the convict, and when I found out it was, I really noticed the (possible) references to the convict in his description on page 316. For example, "iron-gray hair" referring to the iron on the convict's leg and "strong on his legs" referring to how the iron was on the man's leg.

What is the New World (as mentioned by the convict on page 318)?

It seems that the convict chose to give money to Pip and make Pip a gentleman because he wanted to thank Pip for what he did for him when he was in the marshes, but I think it's also possible that the convict is also doing it as an attack to Pip so Pip will be in debt to him.

On page 321, Pip says "Again he[convict] took both my hands and put them to his lips, while my blood ran cold." Why does Pip feel that way? Is he disgusted by the convict or in shock?
Perhaps it brings back memories of his childhood and what he was before.

2 comments:

SG said...

c-
great comments. please be sure to bring some of your questions up in class.

i agree that Estella is wonderfully cold with her moth metaphor. Youch!

Not to sound all therapist-like, but what do YOU think the New WOrld is?

g

Little Miss Black said...

yeah christina what DO you think the new world is?