Sunday, January 6, 2008

Odyssey (11)

I just looked up the definition of "odyssey" and it said something like a series of adventures, which I'm assuming is what the book the Odyssey will turn out to be, as it already has. And at first, I was kinda mad that all of the adventures were being told by someone, it is not the actual book (how ironic his name is Odysseus), but it after I read the definition I thought of the movie Big Fish, which is a series of adventures of a man's father, but which were all being told as in the past. So I began to picture the book in that way, which totally changed it for me. Just a something for you to ponder... (Big Fish is a really good movie, btw)

Elpenor is a fool...why did he sleep on Circe's roof?

Troy is a good movie (Agamemnon). We should definitely watch Troy in class.

It must be a tough way to find out that your mother died, and then that YOU caused her death. Bummer for Odysseus, and I just found that it added to the certain self-centeredness of Odysseus.

I'm confused about Otos and Ephialtes. They explained how big they were (but in cubits, so that wasn't so great for me) and then how they wanted to start a civil war. Why? Why did they need to start a civil war against half their family (immortals)?

Ajax- the second death that Odysseus directly caused. Just adding to the self-centeredness.

I like Heracles. He seems wise. Added to the character created by the Disney movie, which is what I'm picturing.

Why do certain people have to still doing things or suffer after they are dead? It almost seems pointless.

No comments: