Sunday, December 16, 2007

Lord of the Flies (Ch 10-12)

On page 155, what does the author mean by "impaired vision," referring to Piggy and Ralph?
Then, on page 156, I like the line, "The green light and the glossy patterns of sunshine played over their befouled bodies." I like the contrast between the beauty and innocence of the sunshine and the "befouled bodies" because of what they did the previous night.

Thinking about the previous events, and how the boys acted, would it be the same if they were left on the islands as adults? Would they still create two groups and end up killing one of their own, even if they were matured and should know how to act?

Jack seems crazy now, in a mentally unstable psychotic way. Now you can't just blame it on the power, that it just went to his head, because now he's doing things that make him seem completely insane- like beating Wilfred for no reason and convincing the boys that Simon was the beast- especially when you compare him to Ralph. Ralph doesn't seem completely normal either (with the clutching of the conch and laughing hysterically), however he's not acting as crazy as Jack. I think the best way to describe Jack would be to call him a savage tyrant because of the insane way he's acting and the way he is abusing his power.

I'm surprised that Ralph was able to keep his head around the littluns after Jack's attack, when he told them to simply go to sleep. He seems to be maturing, rather than going insane, as Jack has done.

I thought it was funny when Piggy said "I thought they wanted the conch" referring to Jack's tribe because he still thinks the conch is very important.

What is the "moving streak of phosphorence" on page 168?

Why is it cold on the island? Because I assumed that they were on a tropical island, since they had a jungle, and I didn't know that it got cold on tropical islands with jungles.

Why were the fruit trees devasted on page 172?

I thought this was an interesting line on page 180, "Below him, Ralph was a shock of hair and Piggy a bag of fat."

I like how the author compred Pggy to a pig when he died (omg that sounds so mean).

I think the conch symbolized civility and order, so when it broke when the rock hit Piggy, it signified the complete end of any civility.

Where are the littuns of Ralph's group/tribe?

At first I was mad at the twins for acting so rude to Ralph, telling him to "push off" and leave and it made it seem like they just didn't want to leave because they really had joined Jack's group, but then I realized when they gave the meat to Ralph that they joined because they were afraid of Jack coming after them, and what he could do to them because he held so much power of a tribe of boys.

What is the "slow spilt milk" on page 190?

I like on page 196, "Most, he was beginning to dread the curtain that might waver in his brain, blacking out the sense of danger, making a simpleton of him."

On page 199, when the author uses the term "A savage peered..." I began to picture Jack and his tribe as the natives from King Kong because of the paint on their faces and the way the act with their battles cries and such.

I thought that the naval officer would have had more of a grand entrance or introduction. Or maybe the author did that purposely because he wanted to symoblize the fact that the boys had forgotten their main goal, which was being rescued.

I'm not sure that I understand exactly why the officer is there. Well I do, because he said he was there for the fire, but how did he know it wasn't a fire of the enemy, as there is a war going on, and it seems that he came alone, so I don't exactly trust him.

On page 202, the author writes, "And in the middle of them, with filthy body, matted hair, and inwiped nose, Ralph wept for the end of innocence, the darkness of man's heart, and the fall through the air of the true, wise friend called Piggy." I like the line, because I think it is well written, however, with the way Ralph is feeling as a child and in his situation, I don't think it really fit because it was just too smooth and "stable minded," which I doubt is what Ralph was really feeling, and I doubt that's how most people think when they cry like that.

No comments: