Sunday, December 9, 2007

Lord of the Flies (Ch 3-5)

On page 50, Ralph and Jack talk about how the "littluns" don't do any work, but rather swim or play on the beach. My first thought was that, Ralph and Jack should just make them do work, because if they want to survive, everyone must do their part, but then I realized these children were probably all rich kids who went to boarding schools, and they've probably never done anything for themselves.

I like the line on page 54, "The bottom part of their trickle, as though conscious of their gaze, thickened to a creamy blur which crept up the feeble column." It brings a feeling of a person to the jungle and its objects.

The nightmares that the small children are having make me think that the book is possibly sci-fi rather than just realistic fiction.

I wonder why the author chose to have Simon find the flower butterfly place (page 56). Possibly, there could be some kind of trick to it or Simon finds something odd there.

The author seems to be personifying the elements and the jungle, (page 58) "the sun gazed down like an angry eye." It makes the jungle even more creepy and disturbing.

On page 62 what does "a darker shadow crept beneath the swarthiness of his skin" mean?

The missing fire, that the hunters and jack should have tended to. Just another thing to fuel the enmity brewing between Jack and Ralph. (pun intended)

But since it's there's a war going on, couldn't the boat possibly be the boat of an enemy?

I like how Jack twitches when he proudly says he cut the pig's throat on page 69.

Why were they not sharing the pig with the little kids?

There seems to already be some sort of rankings on the island, as seen on page 78.

After watching the show Lost, I don't ever think I could sleep on an island in the boys' situation. I wouldn't know what could be in the forest or what might happen. I wouldn't trust myself or the jungle.

It's sad about Percival because he's in a traumatic situation and the boys' certainly don't know how to help him.

1 comment:

SG said...

c-
i like your comments. bring up the line about the swarthiness under his skin in class.

i like how jack twitches too.

g