Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Mystery Novel (Anything Goes)

I love the language in this book. The author uses such a wide range of vocabulary within the descriptions, but it doesn't seem like she's forcing it. Rather, it brings a fluidity to the language, which I find fits the tone perfectly. The tone is brought about by the setting of 1920's to 1930's (during the Great Depression) in the U.S. where during that time, glamor was of the utmost and beauty was useful. It gives a tone of a beautifully fluid surface, with some slight tension underneath, which is like the Brewsters. They're suffering due to the Depression, but still live behind a glamorous mask.

Unfortunately, the supposed surprises don't turn out to be much of a surprise for me, as when they had found the body. I had already guessed they would have found it due to the overly obvious foreshadowing. It took out some of the suspense that would have made the twists and turns much more enjoyable.
However, perhaps that is the style of mystery novel writing during the 90's. (I just looked at the copyright date which was 1999). Perhaps obvious foreshadowing was the popular way to write and was what people enjoyed during that time.

Overall, I liked the book. I thought it had a great plot that was intricate, but simple enough. I like books where there isn't just one problem and one way to solve it, and this book was not one of those. My only problem was the obviousness in the writing. But I still enjoyed reading it.

2 comments:

SG said...

C-
I am curious if your book is considered a young adult novel or just a regular adult novel.

The reason I ask this is that oftentimes, the problem with young adult novels is that they are too predictable, even the the language can be absoutely pristine.

Interesting.

g

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.