Sunday, October 21, 2007

Great Expectations (9-13)

I found these chapters to be loaded with information- including new characters and changes in the character of Pip through new experiences. Fortunately, the information was gilded with great descriptions that brought characters to life. It also helped me relate even more to Pip with his new adventures. For example, when Pip lies about what happened at Miss Havisham's house because his sister and Uncle Pumblechook would just be dissatisfied with his replies, he created fabulous stories of what he did because he was fed up with their dissatisfaction. Though I had not been through the same thing, I could feel exactly what Pip felt and I understood completely why he did it.

In certain parts of the chapters, I was quite confused. Such as in chapter 11 when the four adults are talking together, I felt as though it was a dream perhaps, or just Pip's imagination or surreal thoughts. Possbly because they acted as though Pip was not there and did not interact with him, and the evidence of them really being in the room was not substantial enough for me. I was more confused by it.

I also found myself against a new antagonist in the story- Uncle Pumblechook. At first, I thought it would be Pip's older sister, but I realized that Uncle Pumblechook was much worse, and quite weird actually. What he does it just odd, and he seems to have no real care for Pip, but more a care of his reputation. For example, when they are eating breakfast, Uncle Pumblechook is eating a hot biscuit and bacon, and all that Pip has is a piece of bread with watered down butter. Also, he was just constantly testing Pip on his knowledge of arithmetic, not allowing Pip to eat.
My new found feelings for Uncle Pumblechook are just examples of how I now have decided what I feel for certain characters. For Miss Havisham, I feel pity, yet inspiration; for Joe, I feel kindness and friendliness. I was able to decide these through events that happened where the characters had occurrances with Pip.

I'd have to say my favorite part of the section was the part where Pip is in the bar with Joe, Mr. Wopsle, and the "stranger." The section is filled with suspense that I felt as though Pip did- especially when the "stranger" pulled out the file and stirred his drink with it, and I felt as though he were taunting Pip and me. Then, the revelation that it was the convict totally surprised me and just filled me with new questions, in hopes of finding out more about his mysterious character.

1 comment:

SG said...

Nice Christina-Be as specific as possible. I want to know exactly the things that you enjoy, are confused by etc. And the more specific you are, maybe you'll start to notice a pattern of response, and therefore recognize something about yourself as a reader and a thinker. Keep Going!